As a present, dedicated parent, you want to spend time with your child and be as involved as possible. Unfortunately, when the relationship with your co-parent isn’t great, they may try to alienate you from your child. This is not only challenging for you but also unfair to your child.

If you’re dealing with parental alienation, it’s important to take action to fight back

What Is Parental Alienation?

Parental alienation refers to one parent intentionally attempting to keep their child away from the other parent. Usually, the alienating parent is the parent with primary custody, as they have more access to the child. However, this could also occur between parents that share custody

Parents who wish to alienate their child from the other parent use several tactics. Most commonly, the alienating parent tries to convince their child that the other parent is not a good person or is an unsuitable parent. Eventually, the alienating parent can make the child believe untrue things and turn them against the other parent. 

Ultimately, the individual that suffers most in a parental alienation situation is the child. They are being cheated out of a relationship with their parent, which could negatively affect them for years to come. Parental alienation usually goes against what is in a child’s best interests

Signs You May Be Dealing With Parental Alienation

When you’re dealing with parental alienation, you may not realize it right away. 

Some of the common signs your co-parent may be trying to alienate you from your child include:

  • Your child suddenly shows little to no interest in spending time with you
  • Having less and less access to your child
  • The alienating parent making excuses for why the child is unavailable 
  • A change in your child’s behavior

If you believe you may be dealing with parental alienation, it’s important to take action sooner rather than later. Usually, under these circumstances, the situation only progresses and gets worse over time. 

How To Fight Parental Alienation

Taking action against the alienating parent may be the only way to get the behavior to stop. In the meantime, the following are some helpful tips to fight back. 

Try To Maintain Close Contact With Your Child 

No matter what, it’s important to try to maintain contact with your child. This is often challenging the younger your child is, as you likely have to go through your co-parent to see your child. Still, if the courts have determined you have rights to your child, you should exercise them. 

Don’t Miss Time With Your Child

Regardless of the situation, avoid missing time with your child. Depending on your parenting plan, you may have set days reserved for time with your child. Fight for your time as outlined in your formal agreement.

Document Your Troubles

Taking legal action against your co-parent may be the only way to permanently stop the alienating behavior. Before taking the required steps, it’s helpful to document all the times your child is kept from you. 

Not only is it crucial to keep written communication, like text messages and emails, but it’s also a good idea to keep a journal with details. Write down all dates, times, and relevant details.

Remain Persistent

No matter what, remain persistent. At the end of the day, your child is what matters most. You never want your child to think you don’t care or give up easily. Even if it’s difficult and discouraging, do it for your child. 

Seek Help From a Qualified New Jersey Child Custody Attorney

If you’re faced with parental alienation, discuss your situation with a skilled New Jersey child custody lawyer. An attorney can protect your rights and take the necessary steps to fight back and get you reconnected with your child. 

Contact the Bergen County Family and Divorce Law Firm of Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers for more help

Contact the experienced family attorneys at Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers today for legal assistance. Visit our law office in Bergen County or give us a call at (201) 487-1199 to schedule a free consultation with our team.

Bergen County Law Office
1 University Plaza Dr #400, Hackensack, NJ 07601, United States