Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers | November 2, 2016 | Articles
Going through a divorce for the first time can be scary, stressful, and confusing. Some cases can be resolved amicably, whereas others need to be litigated. There are a few things that you should expect when your case is presented in the Family Court, the branch of the Superior Court which hears divorce cases in New Jersey:
- Major issues. There are four major issues that will be resolved: child custody and visitation, child support, alimony, and division of property.
- First court appearance. The first court appearance is called a Case Management Conference. The judge asks what issues need to be resolved, what discovery each side requires of the other to fully understand the financial status of the case, and how much time each side requires to provide the other with discovery.
- Reasonable expectations. It’s important to know your facts, be familiar with the case that your attorney is presenting, and be aware of the case that your spouse’s attorney will be presenting. You don’t want to let emotions take over your thought process. You need to have reasonable expectations and make decisions logically.
- Arrive early and be prepared. Plan to show up at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appearance to go through security. Make an outline of what you would like to say and bring a notepad to take notes. Do not bring your cell phone into the courtroom unless it is turned off.
- Show respect for the Court. Dress appropriately for your Court date. Don’t bring food or drink into the courtroom. Don’t talk to your attorney while the judge is speaking. If asked a question by the Court, answer the question and stop talking. Don’t interrupt the judge.
Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers is here to help you through your divorce. Since 1995, our attorneys have assisted in handling both the most complex and intense disputes, to collaboratively resolved matters. Our firm takes pride in delivering practical advice to help our clients make informed decisions.
Contact the Bergen County Family and Divorce Law Firm of Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers for more help
Contact the experienced family attorneys at Arons & Solomon Divorce Lawyers today for legal assistance. Visit our law office in Bergen County or give us a call at (201) 487-1199 to schedule an appointment. to schedule a free consultation with our team.